EUMETSAT has established a decommissioning plan for the MetOp-A spacecraft, it’s associated instrument payload, and has started coordinating a data production decommissioning plan with data production centers and stakeholders such as the EUMETSAT Data Centre, KNMI at OSI SAF and NOAA. As a key distribution center for many datasets from MetOp-A including SST from the IASI and AVHRR infrared instruments, and ocean wind from the ASCAT radar, the PO.DAAC would like the users to be informed of these plans in advance of decommissioning. Below are the key dates for user awareness:
- 15 October 2021 -
- IASI end of all mission services (Global, Regional and Local) - associated data products are no longer produced.
- End of regional mission (EARS) for all instruments.
- 15 November 2021 -
- End of local and global missions for all instruments.
- Metop-A data and products no longer produced.
- Metop-A de-orbiting starts.
Datasets impacted by this decommissioning are found here:
- Level 2 Datasets (Featured Instruments: ASCAT, AVHRR, IASI)
- Level 3 Datasets (Featured Instrument: AVHRR)
- Level 4 OSCAR Datasets (Featured Instrument: AVHRR)
- Level 4 SST Datasets (Featured Instrument: AVHRR)
Users are encouraged to take note of these dates and plan accordingly.
For more information, users are advised to leverage the following EUMETSAT resources: