The PO.DAAC data archive is being migrated to the NASA Earthdata Cloud, hosted in Amazon Web Services (AWS). In an effort to best support the users as they begin transitioning their workflows or data access points to a cloud-based process, PO.DAAC is making the existing datasets from its archive available from and within the Earthdata Cloud as soon as they are available. Information and tutorials about how to access these datasets can be found on the Cloud Data Migration Page. Users may also find the PO.DAAC Webinar (August 2021) useful as they begin their journey to using cloud-based data.
We are pleased to announce that the following 11 datasets are available through NASA Earthdata Cloud. They were migrated into AWS cloud storage as part of the phase 3 cloud migration effort, which is still underway. Together with datasets migrated during phases 1 and 2, they raise the total to 306 PO.DAAC datasets available in the cloud.
- AVHRRMTA_G-NAVO-L2P-v1.0 (DOI: 10.5067/GHMTG-2PN02)
- AVHRRMTB_G-NAVO-L2P-v1.0 (DOI: 10.5067/GHMTB-2PN02)
- SMAP_JPL_L2B_NRT_SSS_CAP_V5 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP50-2NOCS)
- SMAP_JPL_L2B_SSS_CAP_V5 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP50-2TOCS)
- SMAP_JPL_L3_SSS_CAP_8DAY-RUNNINGMEAN_V5 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP50-3TPCS)
- SMAP_JPL_L3_SSS_CAP_MONTHLY_V5 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP50-3TMCS)
- SMAP_RSS_L2_SSS_V4 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP40-2SOCS)
- SMAP_RSS_L3_SSS_SMI_8DAY-RUNNINGMEAN_V4 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP40-3SPCS)
- SMAP_RSS_L3_SSS_SMI_MONTHLY_V4 (DOI: 10.5067/SMP40-3SMCS)
- MERGED_TP_J1_OSTM_OST_GMSL_ASCII_V51 (DOI: 10.5067/GMSLM-TJ151)
- JASON_3_L2_OST_OGDR_GPS (DOI: 10.5067/J3L2G-OGDRF)
Please note that each user must create a free Earthdata Login Account in order to download files or otherwise access data from PO.DAAC through the NASA Earthdata Cloud.
PO.DAAC will continue to distribute these data from the on-premise via PO.DAAC Drive, in addition to making our data available via Earthdata Cloud endpoints. However, on-premise access (i.e., Drive) will be discontinued in the future. Please refer to the migration section of the PO.DAAC Cloud Data page for the list of datasets scheduled for migration in phase 3. Subscribe to the PO.DAAC mailing list to receive updates by email.
We encourage all PO.DAAC users to complete their transition of legacy data access scripts and methods to conform to cloud data access endpoints at their earliest convenience. To ensure a successful transition for all PO.DAAC users, our User Services team is standing by to address all technical issues and concerns. A PO.DAAC in the CLOUD Forum has also been set up. For additional information on the PO.DAAC Data Migration to the Earthdata Cloud, please see the announcement from 12 July 2021, the PO.DAAC Cloud Data Page, or the list of resources below.
Summary of Additional Cloud Resources*
- Cloud Data page with About, FAQs, Resources, Access Data and Migration information
- PO.DAAC in the CLOUD Forum
- OPeNDAP in the Cloud
- Scripted Access video and python script
- Bulk Download guide
- PO.DAAC Github
- Obtain Earthdata Login Account
- Earthdata Common Metadata Repository (CMR) API
- Earthdata Search Client
- PO.DAAC Cloud Earthdata Search Portal
- Earthdata Cloud Primer documents
*Note: These will continue to evolve and grow as we move forward with the cloud migration.