Applications and User Support Tech. Advisory Group (AUS-TAG)

Applications and User Support Tech. Advisory Group (AUS-TAG)

Postby podaac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 pm

GHRSST User's Symposium

The AUS-TAG would like to elicit ideas for a focused GHRSST User's Symposium in 2013. Issues raised at GHRSST XIII:

1) What is the best approach (AGU meeting townhall, webiner, etc.)
2) Outline (How to access data? Which data set do I use?)

Please make comments/opinions on how best to utilize and implement such a symposium.

Jorge
podaac
Site Admin

Re: Applications and User Support Tech. Advisory Group (AUS-

Postby podaac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:13 pm

*GHRSST* users

I think we need to be clear that we need to see users of **GHRSST** SST, not just general SST users. We don't need talks by "users" who have invented their own SST product, unless they did so because they tried the GHRSST stuff and it was inadequate for them in some way -- in which case we need to see the evidence as to why it wasn't what they needed. That would be useful. A symposium with lots of "this is how we make our own specific product that only we use" is of limited use to us or them, yet previous attempts have had quite a lot of that sort of content.

How to achieve this? Well, we need effort to target genuine GHRSST users, perhaps. And clarity about this issue when promoting the event.

cjmerchant
podaac
Site Admin

Postby podaac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 pm

GHRSST Users Symposium

Yes I agree completely. The past symposium, even in Santa Rosa, i felt was too focused on products and not really applications. This needs to change.

Jorge
podaac
Site Admin

Postby podaac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 pm

User questions transferred from Andrea

I would like to pass on the user questions I collected and raised at GHRSST XIII (Tokyo, 2012) to AUS-TAG. A coordinated GHRSST answer on following questions would be desirable (and to be posted at the GHRSST web-site):

1. Climate users ask which SST records to use.

2. NWP users would like better Lake Temperatures and SST optimized for intra-seasonal prediction.

3. For Ocean Forecasting (Data assimilation) the uncertainty characterization is relevant. How can the quality of uncertainty characterization be assessed, is it consistent across GHRSST products and where to information on covariances and correlated errors from?

4. The consistency of SSES across GHRSST products would be desirable from the user's point of view

5. Information on comparability or consistency of cloud flagging would be desirable from the user's point of view

Andrea Kaiser-Weiss
podaac
Site Admin

Return to GHRSST AUS-TAG forum