Missing ENVISAT data at FTP

Missing ENVISAT data at FTP

Postby dornina » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi! My name is Nina and I'm working with altimetry data from Envisat at California coast area. I'm having trouble because there are missing data on the FTP. There are 2 specific tracks that I need the data (0684 and 0697, as indicated by the pass locator), but the FTP only provides until 0500. I don't know why this is happening because a few time ago (a month, maximum) I could see the data for these tracks that I want, but now they are not there anymore. Is there a known problem for you team?

Att,

Nina Dorian
dornina

Re: Missing ENVISAT data at FTP

Postby wenhaoli » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi Nina,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We need more information about the data product you refer to. We would like to know the data name, ftp link, and/or file full path. We are not sure if the following ftp site is what you point to: ftp://podaac-ftp.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/c ... S/envisat/.

Respectfully,

Wenhao Li
wenhaoli

Postby dornina » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello,

Yeah, that's the one! ftp://podaac-ftp.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/c ... S/envisat/

So, the name of the files inside the cycle folders are like "RA2_MWS_2PRF-P20030701_002528_00003017A017_00403_06970_6849_NOC.nc" (this is a random one, not one of my interest). The filename convention is:
RA2_MWS_2P<P><OID><yyyymmdd_hhnnss>_< dddddddd><p><ccc>_<rrrrr>_<aaaaa>_<nnnn>
With
RA2_MWS_2P : the SGDR product identifier
<P> : Processing Stage Flag (may be O-V)
<OID> : ESA code for the originator (F-P)
<yyyymmdd_hhnnss> : date of 1st product record
<dddddddd> : time coverage of the product in seconds
<p> : Mission phase identifier (A)
<ccc> : cycle number within the mission phase
<rrrrr> : Relative orbit number within the cycle at the beginning
of the product
<aaaaa> : Absolute orbit at the beginning of the product
<nnnn> : wrap-around counter to identify sequential products

The relative orbit numbers that I want are 0684 and 0697. They used to be on this FTP, but now they are missing. Inside the cycle folders are files until 0499 or 0500.

Thanks for your response.

Nina
dornina

Postby dornina » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:30 am

Hello,

Did you guys understand my problem? Is there any problem with Envisat data at ftp://podaac-ftp.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/c ... S/envisat/? I still need the data.. Thanks anyway.

Cheers,

Nina Dorian
dornina

Postby tmcknight » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Hello Nina,

I'm with Operations. I checked through these envisat files in our archive and all the cycles's relative orbit numbers don't go higher than 500.
Could you give us a cycle and absolute orbit number for the files you're trying to reference

Tim Mcknight
PO.DAAC Operations
tmcknight

Postby jhausman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:35 am

Hi Nina
The file names have orbit numbers, but I believe that 684 and 697 are pass numbers. There are 2 passes per orbit, so if you divide the pass numbers in half you get the orbit number, which would be 342 and 349. Hopefully there's a figure attached to this post that will show you those orbits over your area of interest.

Jessica Hausman
PO.DAAC Data Engineer
Attachments
envisat342_349.jpg
envisat342_349.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 16868 times
Jessica Hausman
PO.DAAC Data Engineer
jhausman

Postby dornina » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Hello people, thank you for your answer. Actually, I am still having problems. This orbits number are not the ones that I want. Yeah, you are right that I want the passes 0697 and 0684, but looking for orbits 684/2 and 697/2 (as one of you guide me) and did not work. I want all the cycles for these two passes. Do you know how to identify the passes?

Cheers,

Nina
dornina

Postby jhausman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:42 am

Hi Nina
Even though the files are numbered by orbit, each file only contains a single pass of data so you may have to download both orbit files, especially if the passes are in the eastern hemisphere.

for 342
ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/coast ... 225_NOC.nc
and
ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/coast ... 227_NOC.nc

for 349
ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/coast ... 253_NOC.nc
and
ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/allData/coast ... 255_NOC.nc

Did the plot in the previous post have the correct passes plotted? If not what is the exact latitude and longitude you are looking for?

Jessica
Jessica Hausman
PO.DAAC Data Engineer
jhausman

Postby checin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 pm

jhausman wrote:Hi Nina
The file names have orbit numbers, but I believe that 684 and 697 are pass numbers. There are 2 passes per orbit, so if you divide the pass numbers in half you get the orbit number, which would be 342 and 349. Hopefully there's a figure attached to this post that will show you those orbits over your area of interest.

Jessica Hausman
PO.DAAC Data Engineer

Jessica,

I am having the same problem, I don't understand the figure that you attached. I looked down the thread and I don't think the original poster's problem was ever resolved.
checin

Postby jhausman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi
The image is of the Southern California Bight, black is the land and red and blue are two specified orbits of Envisat tacks.

Are you having problems selecting which files correspond to your region of interest or that files you retrieved previously are not there?

Jessica
Jessica Hausman
PO.DAAC Data Engineer
jhausman

Next

Return to Data Access