The PO.DAAC is pleased to announce the availability of the version 3.0 SMAP Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) data from Remote Sensing Systems (RSS). Several enhancements over the previous release are implemented including:
• Use of Version 4 L1B SMAP RFI filtered antenna temperatures.
• Implementation of the geophysical model function from Aquarius version 5 adapted to SMAP.
• Use of the near real time CCMP wind speed and direction data as ancillary input.
• Inclusion of IMERG rain rate for the atmospheric liquid
• Improved computation of antenna weighted land fraction (gland) and enhanced correction for land radiation intrusion from antenna sidelobes.
• Improved correction for emissive SMAP mesh antenna.
• The salty biases at low latitudes and the fresh biases at high N latitudes that were observed in the previous release, are no longer present or are much reduced in V3.0.
Users should note that significant degradation in the performance is observed if the gain weighted land fraction (gland) exceeds 1%. Consequently, observations with gland>0.8% are not used in the Level 3 processing.
Datasets comprising this release include .....
To read entire announcement, please see: https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/announcemen ... S_Released