Quality flags and rain corrections for V2 OSCAT L2B data.

(Read-only)

Quality flags and rain corrections for V2 OSCAT L2B data.

Postby podaac » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 am

I understand that the Version 2 Oceansat-2 OSCAT L2B data includes corrections for rain when rain is detected, so do I still need to use the flags variable?

Since wind is retrieved and corrected in all conditions, the quality flag is generally not needed unless there is sufficient cause for concern, at the data user's discretion, that rain corrections are either insufficient or perhaps introducing a spurious bias to the wind speed data. The eflags variable is meant to help provide additional support to users who may be concerned with the quality of the rain corrections, which provides additional information including: whether the rain corrections were applied, whether the rain corrections produced a negative speed bias, or if the rain corrections were unusually large (i.e., producing a correction larger than 1 m/s). It also should be noted that the rain correction method was only optimized for wind speeds between 0 and 20 m/s, and it's a known issue that for wind speeds beyond 20 m/s the rain correction may often degrade the accuracy of the corrected wind speed. As a result of this known issue, the user should still use the flags and eflags variables as a backup to ensure that either negative or unusually large wind speed biases are not a result of the rain correction while rain is present.
podaac
Site Admin

Re: Quality flags and rain corrections for V2 OSCAT L2B data

Postby dmoroni » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:14 am

More context to this issue is included in the latest QuikSCAT L2B User Guide, which is described further at the following forum post: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=938
dmoroni

Return to Ocean Wind FAQ