The Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center (PO.DAAC) is an element of the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS). The EOSDIS provides science data to a wide community of users for NASA's Science Mission Directorate.
The mission of the PO.DAAC is to preserve NASA’s ocean and climate data and make these universally accessible and meaningful.
Since the launch of NASA's first ocean-observing satellite, Seasat, in 1978, PO.DAAC has become the premier data center for measurements focused on ocean surface topography (OST), sea surface temperature (SST), ocean winds, sea surface salinity (SSS), gravity, ocean circulation and sea ice.
In addition to providing access to its data holdings, PO.DAAC acts as a gateway to data stored at other ocean and climate archives. This and other tools and services enable PO.DAAC to support a wide user community working in areas such as ocean and climate research, applied science and industry, natural resource management, policy making, and general public consumption.
Thanks to NASA's open and free data policy, we are able to serve users both in the United States and worldwide.
The PO.DAAC facility is managed and located at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.
- Alaska Satellite Facility DAAC - SAR, Sea Ice, Polar Processes, Geophysics
- Crustal Dynamics Data Information System (CDDIS) - Space Geodesy and Geodynamics
- Goddard Space Flight Center Earth Sciences DAAC - Atmospheric Composition, Atmospheric Dynamics, Global Precipitation, Solar Irradiance
- Global Hydrology Resource Center - Hydrologic Cycle, Severe Weather Interactions, Lightning, Convection
- Langley Research Center DAAC - Radiation Budget, Clouds, Aerosols, Tropospheric Chemistry
- Land Processes DAAC - USGS National Center for EROS - Land Processes
- MODIS Adaptive Processing System (MODAPS) (NASA EOSDIS) - Aqua and Terra L1, Atmospheres, and Land Data
- National Snow and Ice Data Center DAAC - Snow and Ice, Cryosphere and Climate
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory DAAC - Biogeochemical Dynamics, Ecological Data for Studying Environmental Processes
- Ocean Biology Processing Group (OBPG) - Ocean Color Data Products from the MODIS Sensor on Aqua
- SocioEconomic Data and Applications Center - Population, Sustainability, Geospatial Data, Multilateral Environmental Agreements