The PO.DAAC is pleased to announce the public release of the simulated SWOT Level-2 (L2) Sea Surface Height (SSH) version 1 datasets. This collection includes 8 synthetic SWOT SSH products created by the SWOT project (JPL/CNES) based on the new SWOT ocean simulator and two global ocean simulations: (1) ECCO simulation 1/48 (i.e. LLC4320); and, (2) Mercator Océan GLORYS 12v1 model (GLORYS - Mercator Ocean (mercator-ocean.fr), for both fast-sampling and science orbits. The data from the KaRIn swath spans 60 km on both sides of the nadir with a 20-km nadir gap. All the variables are given on a swath-aligned 2 x 2 km2 grid and sea surface Height on a 250 x 250 m2 native grid. The temporal coverage is one year (2011-2012) for the ECCO-based products and 20 months (04/2014-12/2015) for the GLORYS-based products.
These products are created to help the SWOT science teams and the oceanography community get acquainted with the SWOT L2 SSH products in preparation for the SWOT launch (Nov/2022). The eight datasets were hosted at AVISO+ in France prior to the NASA Earthdata Cloud. With the latter, one can download as well as access the data directly from the cloud. The data-subscriber is recommended for direct downloading of multiple data files in bulk. Individual data files may also be extracted using an HTTPS browse service found within the Data Access tab of each dataset landing page. Additional PO.DAAC tools/services, such as Harmony subsetting and OPeNDAP, will be enabled for this dataset and will be available soon.
Eight Datasets are included in this release:
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 KaRIn SSH from GLORYS for Cal/Val Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 Nadir SSH from GLORYS for Cal/Val Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 KaRIn SSH from GLORYS for Science Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 Nadir SSH from GLORYS for Science Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 KaRIn SSH from MITgcm ECCO LLC4320 for Cal/Val Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 Nadir SSH from MITgcm ECCO LLC4320 for Cal/Val Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 KaRIn SSH from MITgcm ECCO LLC4320 for Science Version 1
- SWOT Simulated Level-2 Nadir SSH from MITgcm ECCO LLC4320 for Science Version 1
SWOT, 2022: SWOT Simulated Level-2 [KaRIn|Nadir] SSH from [MITgcm ECCO LLC4320|GLORYS] for [Science|Cal/Val] Version 1.0. Ver. 1.0. PO.DAAC, CA, USA. Dataset accessed [YYYY-MM-DD] at [DOI]
A generic citation of the collection of all 8 datasets:
CNES/CLS. 2021. Simulated SWOT products [Data set]. CNES. https://doi.org/10.24400/527896/A01-2021.006
- JPL Internal Document, 2018: SWOT Science Requirement Document, JPL D-61923.
- JPL Internal Document, 2020: SWOT Product Description Long Name: Level 2 KaRIn Low Rate Sea Surface Height Product Short Name: L2_LR_SSH, JPL D-56407
- JPL Internal Document, 2017: SWOT Project MISSION PERFORMANCE AND ERROR BUDGET, JPL D-79084
- CNES Internal Document, 2020: SALP Products Specification – SWOT Nadir Altimeter User Products
- Gaultier, L., Ubelmann, C., and Fu, L-L.. 2016. The challenge of using future SWOT data for oceanic field reconstruction, J. Ocean. Atm. Tech., 33. 10.1175/JTECH-D-15-0160.1